Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4358

About us

What are the eligibility requirements for the VFW?

There are three qualifiers for membership in the VFW, as set out in our By-Laws. An individual must meet all three in order to become a member.

They are as follows:

1: Citizenship – must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. National.

2: Honorable Service – must have served in the Armed Forces of the United States and either received a discharge of Honorable or General (Under Honorable Conditions) or be currently serving.

3: Service in a war, campaign, or expedition on foreign soil or in hostile waters. This can be  proven by any of the following:

An authorized campaign medal (see other side for a list of qualifying medals and badges)

Receipt of Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay (verified by a military pay statement)

Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days

This information is usually available through a veteran’s DD-214. If other information is needed or  if  a  veteran’s  DD-214  is  not  complete,  they  can  contact  the  National  Personnel  Records  Center at 314-801-0800 or online at  to request more information.

It is imperative that we verify the eligibility of every member that signs up for the VFW, not only to comply with our By-Laws but also to maintain the integrity of the organization. If you have questions concerning membership eligibility, please contact the National Headquarters at 1-888-JOIN-VFW or via email at  For further information on VFW eligibility, please consult Section 101 of the VFW By-Laws and Manual of Procedure.

rev. 08/16

For a full list of campaign medals that qualify an individual for VFW membership, please consult  Section 101 of the VFW Manual of Procedure.

If a veteran’s DD-214 or other military documentation confirms they have been awarded one of these campaign medals and they have served honorably, then they are eligible for membership in the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

 China Service Medal

American Defense Service Medal

European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal

American Campaign Medal

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

Army of Occupation Medal

Navy Occupation Service Medal

Korean Service Medal

Navy Expeditionary Medal

Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal

Vietnam Service Medal

Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal

Southwest Asia Service Medal

Kosovo Campaign Medal

Combat Infantryman Badge

Combat Medical Badge

Combat Action Ribbon

Air Force Combat Action Medal

Combat Action Badge

SSBN Deterrent Patrol Insignia

Korea Defense Service Medal

Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal

Afghanistan Campaign Medal

Iraq Campaign Medal

Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal

Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon WITH GOLD BORDER

Korea Duty (Service in Korea for 30 consecutive or 60 non-consecutive days)

Hostile Fire Pay or Imminent Danger Pay

For any questions regarding VFW eligibility, please contact the Membership Department at or by calling 1-888-JOIN-VFW (564-6839) for assistance.

29412 White Rd  Willoughby Hills, OH 44092 ph (440) 944-1642

Website Builder